Monday, December 19, 2005

Target Equals

You know what I hate?

Popups, that's what I hate. I'm not talking about ads, and those that are traditionally regarded as unrequested popups - stuff like "onload=open-another-bloody-window();". I mean, sure those are hidious and obnoxious, but the thing that really really pisses me off is "target=_blank", and various JavaScript equivalents.

When I click on a link I almost always want it to open in the current window and tab. If I want to open something in a new tab, I will do so myself using the middle mouse button. This should be my choice. Opening a new window or tab should not be forced on me by the designer.

Which brings me to one of my favourite Firefox extensions: TargetAlert. This excellent add-on gives advanced warning of just what kind of nasty evilness the web designer is about to attempt.

The author: "Provides a visual cue for the destination of a hyperlink by appending a link with an icon that shows what type of file it leads to, or the effects it may have, such as opening a new window or leaving a secure site."

Is there a Firefox extension to add "Open Link in Current Tab" to the right-click menu? That would also be helpful.

2 comments:

keith said...

I have firefox version 1.5.0.1 for windows xp. I use ubuntu at home and I'm not sure if the settings are the same.
Tools-->Options-->Tabs
On this screen you have the option to Force new windows to open in a new tab or in the same tab/window.

Ben said...

Hmmm. Firefox 1.0.7 on Debian Etch.
Got the tabbrowser preferences extension.

I wonder if "load web browser links in a:" option is the one I want.