Friday, March 24, 2006

ajaxWrite Word Processor

www.ajaxwrite.com

"The look, feel, and functionality of Microsoft Word, in a completely web-based AJAX platform."

Does it really have the look and feel and functionality of a real word processor? Yes, sort of. For example, it has a splash screen, just like a real non-web word processor. Of course this is a bad thing. A very very bad thing. Splash screens are evil.

Once you get started it certainly looks like a real word processor - at least superficially. However the moment you click on the "Open" button this resemblance ends, for up pops a browser window, complete with the usual delay while the page loads. :(

Then there are the buttons. In a real word processor the state of the buttons such as Bold and Italics reflects the formatting of the currently selected text - If the text is bold, the Bold button will be down. Font dropdowns work similarly in a real word processor - the selected font matches the font of the currently selected text. Not so in ajaxWrite, or the Blogger editor for that matter. Is there a web-based editor that gets this right?

Michael Robertson claims here that "It feels and operates identically to a traditional software program." Clearly this is not accurate. In fact it feels and operates almost identically to a browser-based editor. Funny that.

Nice try though.

UPDATE 20060326:
The ajaxWrite website now has a FAQ page, which includes "ajaxWrite requires Firefox 1.5, or newer, browser." I am using Firefox 1.0.7 on Debian Etch. Furthermore, an anonymous commenter says "If I make a selection bold and then i click out of the bolded selection and then click back in it, the bold icon appears as depressed as expected."

Using my amazing powers of deduction - for which I have a patent pending by the way, so you'd better not try this without paying me, dammit... Using my amazing powers of deduction, I leap brilliantly to the conclusion that the correct functionality may be available on Firefox 1.5 or newer.

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

I'm cleaning up my meagre computer information. Here's a memo for you!

MEMO

To: My Boss
From: Blondie
Subject: Changing calendars from Y2K

I hope that I haven't misunderstood your instructions because, to be honest, none of this Y to K problem made much sense to me. At any rate, I have finished the conversion of all of the months on all the company calendars for next year. The calendars have returned from the printer and are ready to be distributed with the following new months:
Januark
Februark
Mak
Julk
I also changed all the days of each week to:
Sundak
Mondak
Tuesdak
Wednesdak
Thursdak
Fridak
Saturdak

We are now Y to K compliant.

Ben said...

:)
Works for me.

Anonymous said...

Bold icon and others work for me. It might be a bug thet need to be fixed. If I make a selection bold and then i click out of the bolded selection and then click back in it, the bold icon appears as depressed as expected