Sunday, April 23, 2006

BloGTK

The Wordpress post editor does not work terribly well for me. It is slow, particularly on backspace. Of course this does not matter in my case, since I never make mistakes.

Unfortunately that is not the only problem. It is also in the habit of randomly replacing </p> <p> with <br />, which screws up my paragraph spacing. Of course you don't see that it has done this until the post has been saved.

So, I thought it was time to give something else a try. Enter BloGTK - or, more accurately - apt-get install blogtk.

BloGTK is a simple Gnome-based client for weblogging systems that support Blogger, MegaWeblog or Movable Type APIs.

It does not support all of the features of Wordpress, or even Blogger (adjusting the time and date of a post, for example). It is also not WYSIWYG, but then neither is the Wordpress one since, well, what I see when I edit a post is defintely not what I'm getting out the other end.

At the same time I'm also experimenting with using the Wordpress editor with visual rich editing turned off. There is also www.writely.com, although Writely currently does not offer support for multiple blogs.

2 comments:

Mikestar said...

Hey Ben,
Fanks for being my landlord for this week. About the seinfeld quote talking about Night Guy: I'm a huge Seinfeld fan, I got the first 6 seasons on DVD and some others I've taped. You can guarantee that my brain is in Seinfeld mode pretty much all the time.

Ben said...

No worries.