Friday, April 07, 2006

On Changing to Wordpress

Recently I moved Henry the Adequate from a blogger weblog here, to his own domain (http://henrytheadequate.com), hosted at nearlyfreespeech.net and using wordpress as the blogging engine. I think I just used up my hyperlink quota for the next week, but, well, tough - this is important.

I am not going to tell you how to set up Wordpress because, seriously, it is dead easy and described quite well enought at http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress anyway.

I am going to tell you about importing my blogger weblog into Wordpress, because that was really really difficult. Here is how it is done, and I'm assuing here that we already have Wordpress set up and configured on your server, or your hosting provider, or whatever- you know, the easy bit. So, log into your wordpress blog as an administrator (default is "admin").

Click on "Import". Click on "Blogger". Wordpress advises you at this point to back up your blogger template before proceeding. Do so in another tab, or window.(Log in to Blogger. Click "Template". Copy and paste the html code from the template to a text file on your local machine). Log out of Blogger. Now, back to the Wordpress tab, which has a space for you to enter your Blogger username and password. Do so. Select the appropriate Blogger blog from the list. Watch Wordpress import all of your posts and comments.

Damn that was difficult. And tricky. And all brain-draining. Phew. I think I need to go lie down for a while. Maybe I should have gone with my original plan, and retyped all of those posts.

No comments: