At first glance this appears to be a reasonable request, however it is one of the more subtle forms of comment spam. Why? Because the guy calls himself "Hair Removal Products", and includes a link to some nasty site selling hair removal products as his homepage.
So, I'm moderating the comments, and am about to delete it, when it occurs to me that perhaps I should not be so quick to delete comment spam. Perhaps this awful stuff can be turned to my advantage...
Recognizing Comment Spam
Subtle indicators (Two or more of these suggest you're probably looking at spam):
- The comment is on an old post.
- The comment is very generic and could apply to any post, or indeed, any blog. ("I like this blog")
- Your hair falls out while you're reading it.
Not So Subtle Indicators:
- The comment is trying to sell you stuff. "Credit cards, personal loans, payday loans, mortgages, auto loans, etc...."
- Hyperlinks in the comment body.
- "I am a pathetic moron spammer" or something like that in the comment is a pretty good indication that the spammer has accidently put "I am a pathetic moron spammer" in the comment. Probably because (s)he is not very good at typing.
Alternatives to Deleting Comment Spam
Now this is the fun bit. Firstly you've got to recognize that spammers are not people. This should suggest some really neat stuff. Did you ever want to abuse the crap out of somebody? Go right ahead. Mock, swear, hurl abuse. Let the bastards have it. See the comments on this post.
If you are using decent bloging software (ie, not Blogger) it is probably possible for you to edit the comments. This means not only can you abuse the crap out of them, you can also remove all of their hyperlinks so they gain no advantage from it.
Or, and here's a good bit coming up, you can remove the hyperlinks and not abuse them. Then you're left with coments saying, "I like your blog", but without the ads. That's pretty damn good.
So, how did I deal with the Hair Removal Moron? First, I removed the links. Next, I did this. Pretty neat huh. It's all part of my brilliant plan to:
- remove links.
- write bullshit.