Monday, September 25, 2006

Extension Hell

I read somewhere that Openoffice.org will get extension support. Actually, that's not entirely accurate - I read everywhere that Openoffice.org will get extension support.

My response, instant, and clever, and really really insightful, is **cringe**

At their best extensions are a mixed blessing, fraught with all sorts of fraughtful things. Fraughtful is a word I made up, just for this occasion.

What's the best thing about Firefox? The extensions, and the extra functionality/configurability they bring.

What's the worst thing about Firefox? Extensions, and the flakiness, instability, and bloat they bring.

And this is not a new story. Back in my days as a Delphi developer I lauded the wide variety of third party components, their power, and their functionality, while at the same time cursing the wide variety of third party components, and the flakiness, instability, and bloat they brought to the IDE.

I predict extensions will wreak havoc with Openoffice.org's stability and reliability, as it has done with other applications. This will be a bad thing for the users, and a good thing for the developers, because they can blame all of the problems on third party components, just as Borland have always done. Meanwhile users will sing the praises of their favourite extensions, while at the same time cursing Ooo for crashing all of the time.

Me? I will laugh, and download some more extensions.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

I undestood some of this, but I really come for the new words, like fraughtful...
The word definition read Jesuscroq
or jesuscoq, either way it's fraughtful

MADCAP said...

Oh... but I use AbiWord! however, since I dont have a printer and dunno the use of macros, I dont really know...