Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Testing VS Unstable

I have been using Debian Testing on the desktop for a couple of years now, both at home, and at work. Naturally for servers I use Stable.

Recently I upgraded my home desktop to Unstable.

My impression on the difference between Testing and Unstable, based admittedly on a fairly short association with the latter, is that Unstable breaks more often, but Testing stays broke for a heck of a lot longer.

The NVidia drivers, for example, have been broken in Etch (testing) for months (Well, missing actually, but you don't get much more broken than that).

For those of you not familiar with Debian GNU/Linux and don't get all this talk of "stable" and "unstable" and stuff, please rest assured that I am in no way referring to my current sanity level... Please see the following link for an explanation: http://www.debian.org/releases/

Actually, this link might be better: http://www.debian.org/releases/ What the hell - if Freespire can do it...

For those of you unable to read, please see the following explanation: dflkujtg6 534fg faag gasf yjpopiu jlkjlkyj fdsft afst tlkklgjit sdff;lstjl y f fsdkl65.

In other news I just bought a mouse. Hopefully the cat won't eat this one.

11 comments:

Lorraine said...

Unstable, most definetely, testy too...
Do you have anything purple?

Ben said...

Why, is purple the new black or something?

Keith said...

i have purple things

Lorraine said...

NO white is the new black...purple is another colour besides red..
I'm sorry Keith, did you see the Dr. about that? Hope it goes away :)

MADCAP said...

hey ben! This frugalware thingy is quite interesting. It's outta Hungary, so all those DMCA laws n' all don't apply. Also, as I type I see the fonts are pretty neat too -- they are all slim and cool looking.

You must try in out, cuz in the process u might reveal some new tips n' tricks. Doesn't matter how long u use it. I just need those tips n' tricks to copy paste quickly. :)

Ben said...

Hmm. Must give it a go, though if you're expecting useful tips I fear you have come to the wrong place.

MADCAP said...

Just a quick note: They have 11 consoles by default, so u have the KDM in F12. I didn't kno... so when I switched to F1 and then back to F7... I was like where'd the desktop go? Wonder why tho. Nice helpful folks at the IRC too.

Lorraine said...

I'm bored, can you say something exciting?

Lorraine said...

never mind, Henry said something not boring...

Christian Jensen said...

Hey! Where's the reviews or Ubnutu, no Unbubtu, no Ubuntu stuff so I can post it on my site and link to your nudity?

Ben said...

Madcap:
Wooo freaky. Sorry about the lateness of my reply. I have been imagining myself on an African safari. Is much safer to just imagine it. That africa is dangerous, not to mention expensive.

Lorraine:
No, I cannot say something exciting. I tried once, but it didn't work out.

Christian:
I am lazy, especially when working for free.