Monday, November 20, 2006

Installing Nvidia Drivers in Etch

For some time now the Nvidia drivers have been missing from the Debian Etch repositories.

Naturally it is possible to use Nvidia's own installer, however I prefer to avoid bypassing the package management system where possible, and you should too. Because I say so, and I am right.

Here's how:
  1. apt-get install module-assistant
  2. Next you need an Unstable repository available. This is done by editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file and adding this on a new line, but without the quotes - "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib"
  3. apt-get update
  4. m-a prepare
  5. m-a auto-install nvidia
  6. apt-get install nvidia-glx
  7. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list again and remove that new line, or comment it with a # at the beginning of the line.
  8. apt-get update
All steps must be performed as root. (At a command prompt type "su" then enter the root password) Once you're done, type "exit" to exit from the root shell.

It is possible to do all steps except for 4 and 5 using Synaptic, but I will not go into that here, on account of I am lazy.

Updates:
  1. Anonymous points out that it is also necessary to edit your xorg.conf file to replace "nv" with "nvidia". Absolutely. Not sure how I missed that step.
  2. Nvidia drivers are available in Etch again, so this guide is no longer necessary, although still potentially useful if you need more recent drivers.

8 comments:

Lorraine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lorraine said...

by me, 'cause it didn't make sense, not that that would stop me, but...it is a given that you sound more brilliant than actually are, right?

Lorraine said...

I have a challenge for you Ben, click on my name
Oh God I think I'm becoming a blogger lush
It must be your fault

Ben said...

It is always my fault, especially when it is not.

Lorraine said...

Totally accurate, oh did I tell you I have a new blog about my three cats?
I uninvited you, I figured there's only so much you can take!

Ben said...

I don't remember. I wasn't listening. :)

Lorraine said...

Got back to Beta, probably by osmosis

Anonymous said...

Thanx for the guide, but I had to add one step you did not mention. I had to edit the xorg.conf file and change 'nv' to 'nvidia'

Just thought you might like to know. Thanx!