Monday, February 12, 2007

Warning to Windows Users

If you use Microsoft Windows on a public network your computer may already be under the control of somebody else - and for once I'm not talking about Microsoft here. I am referring to nefarious malware authors, spammers, script kiddies, etc. If you download and install software from the internet your computer most likely is so compromised.

The odds are much higher than you probably imagine.

And, if your system has been compromised, you are probably part of a botnet. From the linked article: "It has been estimated that up to one quarter of all personal computers connected to the internet are part of a botnet."

If your computer is part of a botnet, it can be used to attack servers on the internet, including commercial and military targets.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. "If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed at undermining the nation’s critical information infrastructure, the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual bombing of an attack source."

Yes sir - use Microsoft Windows, and the US DOD will drop a bomb on your house. You have been warned.

14 comments:

tkkerouac said...

Hey!

Ben said...

Hello. Welcome to the least popular weblog in the universe.

tkkerouac said...

Ya but do you want it to be a self fufilling prophecy?

Ben said...

Possibly not :)

On the other hand, I thought it sounded kinda good, so, well, just for a laugh -
thusly

Windfall Woman said...

I think this blog may be over my head.

Ben said...

Mine too.

Windfall Woman said...

You made me laugh. OMG...there it is again....complicated word verification.

ZSAIMJ

Zsa Zsa is my J?

Ben said...

It helps to keep the riff raff out.

Windfall Woman said...

Riff raff. I think I'm borderline. I can barely pass word verification. Is there a learning disability for that? I mean ..... do I need therapy? Or am I....God forbid....RIFF RAFF?

Ben said...

lol, definitely not. (... backpedals wildly...) You're definitely almost completely free of raff, and as for your riff - well, it's as good as any I've seen.

Windfall Woman said...

Thanks for the compliment. I've been working on it. Wouldn't you just know that my wv is:

esymo

Easy Mo?

Easy More?

Or Easy......more......more....

Ben said...

It shows. That you've been working on it, I mean - not the "easy" bit.

Alexander said...

Ha, I will show this to all the windows users I know. "if u use windows, teh goverment will kill you!"

Ben said...

No no. Don't show them. Let them find out the hard way. :)