Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Delphi for PHP

Delphi for PHP

Yes, folks, Delphi for PHP. What will those boffins at Borland (sorry, Codegear) think of next? I am really hanging out for "Delphi for QBasic". "Delphi for Command.com".

But don't get me wrong - I am a Borland fan from way back, being quite intimately familiar with Delphi versions from two to five, and CBuilder versions from five all the way up to five. I say "intimately", but that's just an expression, you realize? I mean, I was nowhere near there, and the so called "eye witnesses" don't know what they're talking about, and anyway where does it say those alleged acts are illegal, when applied to software? Unlikely, yes. Insane? Possibly. But... and here's where I quickly change the subject...

Why, this very day I developed in both CBuilder and Delphi, and did a damn fine job of it too, if I do say so myself. And I do so say. Often.

But, and here at last is the thing, it's just not exciting anymore. The spark is gone. Borland (Codegear. Whatever) doesn't turn me on like it used to, and I'm not even sure why. Perhaps it is the outrageous pricing of most of their products, or the fact that their $3000+ Delphi 5 Enterprise was delivered in a paper sleeve - for that price I expect a jewel case, dammit - or the tragic disappointment that was Kylix, or it could even be simply that I've moved on from the Windows experience to greener pastures of VMS and Linux. Or, in this specific case, it just might be that I don't really see the point. Developing PHP? Vim does quite nicely, than you.

Also, the last Delphi app I developed wouldn't compile on account of all these ":w" bits in the middle of the code. Damn buggy IDE.

8 comments:

Windfall Woman said...

That damned Borland.

Ben said...

Yes, well said. Clearly you are a techie type also.

Windfall Woman said...

You are correct. You don't know how correct either. Wink. Go ahead. Just ask me about Wimax.

Ben said...

What's with wimax?

Windfall Woman said...

It's the wireless network of the future. It's not nude though.

Ben said...

Wow. That definitely proves your techiness, although I was expecting a bit more detail after the "Go ahead. Just ask me about Wimax."

But still, nice pick up on the "not nude" theorem. ;)

Windfall Woman said...

Perhaps this might be better...."wimax, and winotBen?"

Ben said...

lol Not sure Max would like it, but there you go.

To answer your last question: Because he is married. :)