Monday, March 02, 2009

5 Minutes of Slackware 12.2

Hardware: Dell Latitude C610
CPU: Mobile P3 - M 1133MHz
RAM: 256MB
HDD: 20G
Video: ATI Radeon Mobility M6
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WN321G USB, Ralink chipset
LAN: 3Com 3c905c
Audio: Intel 82801CA/CAM AC97

Slackware 12.2
Installation:
Text mode installer. I accept all defaults, even re-using the disk layout from previous distro (Fedora 10 - article). This proves to be a mistake because, although the Slackware installer recognises the LVM partition just fine and is happy to use it, Slackware kernel panics on first boot. I run setup again after formatting the drive without LVM, again selecting all defaults (which means installing "everything" and swapping disks twice). All is good.

Issues found in first five minutes.
Suspend fails. I forget to test hibernate. Hey, I'm working for free here. Shut up.

Cannot connect to wlan. Try for almost three minutes before giving up. What do you expect from a five minute test?

Five Minute Goodness:
As expected all devices are detected. Slackware is fast and responsive. Boots to command line - boy does that take me back... Fortunately I haven't forgotten how to type "startx".

Conclusion:
This post is way too short for conclusions, as was my testing.

No comments: